Client and patient information

Information about the clients and patients of the social and health care services are collected in a person register. The information in the register is confidential.

The personnel who process or peruse the information are obligated to maintain confidentiality and secrecy. This obligation continues even after the employment has terminated.

The information is only allowed to be processed by persons in the organizational unit who participate in the care of the patient/client or related functions. The employees using the data systems have user rights defined according to their duties. In addition they have personal user identification codes and passwords.

Processing and perusal of register information is followed and supervised by means of user log data.

Due to information security issues we do not process client and patient information by e-mail.

Data Protection Officer

According to law each unit producing social and health care services has to have a data protection officer. He/she follows and supervises the use of client and patient information, as well as acts as support for the personnel, clients and patients in matters pertaining to data protection.

In addition the data protection officer supplies expert aid to the leadership of the organization, which in its role as controller of the register is ultimately liable for the processing of personal data.

Right to inspect one’s own data

As a client or patient of the social or health care services you are upon request entitled to know what information there is about you in a person register or that there is no information about you in the register. The information has to be supplied to you in a understandable form and also in writing if you were to desire it.

The form for requesting inspection of data within the health care services is returned to the address: Loviisan terveyskeskus/Johtava lääkäri, Öhmaninkatu 4, 07900 Loviisa.

The form for requesting inspection of data within the social care services is returned to the address: Loviisan Perhekeskus/sosiaalityöstä vastaava, Itäinen Tullikatu 17, 07900 Loviisa.

You are entitled to

  • know the regular sources of information in the register, on the uses for the information in the register and the regular destinations of disclosed information (according to section 26 in the Personal Data Act)
  • the information in the register get free of charge once per year
  • demand that the controller of the register corrects any erroneous information
  • on request be informed as to who accessed information about you and which the grounds for the information access was (you are not, however, at liberty to utilize or disclose this information for another purpose)
  • get copies of your own patient information (e.g. for insurance companies, for private doctors or for your personal use) free of charge once per year.
  • Ordering X-ray images is subject to charge. The images are ordered via HUS-Kuvantaminen (medical imaging centre of the Helsinki and Uusimaa hospital district).

You can peruse your information also at the My Kanta service. My Kanta is a national online service, where there are information registered by the health care services on the patient and his/or her medication. Use of the service requires a Finnish identity number and means of electronic identification (identification codes for online banking, mobile IDs or an electronic identity card). You can access the service at the site.

Disclosing information to relatives

Patient information is confidential.

A professionally educated person within health care or another person working in the organizational unit is not allowed to disclose information in the patient documentation to third parties without written consent by the patient or his/her legal representative.

All persons, except for the persons in the organizational unit who participate in the care of the patient or related functions, are considered third parties. As a rule the relatives of the patient are considered third parties as pertaining to patient documentation.

No precise age has been set for underage children until when the parents are entitled to the patient information of the child. What decides in such cases is the assessed ability of the child to take care of his/her own matters. The assessment is made by the physician in charge of the child’s care or by a nurse.

As a rule disclosure of patient documentation is based on written consent by the patient.

The discloser of information is liable to ascertain that there are legal grounds for disclosure of patient information. Occurrences of information disclosure and the grounds thereof are registered in the patient documentation.

Disclosing information to authorities

Information is disclosed to such authorities that by law are entitled to the information in the register.

The person requesting information has to indicate the legal provision based on which the information is requested. Information is, with the consent of the client or patient or based on the law, also disclosed to other social or health care units. All occurrences of information disclosure have to be registered in the client or patient documentation.

Disclosing of information regarding a deceased person

The information in patient documentation is confidential even after the patient’s demise. The patient information of the deceased can only be disclosed to such an extent as they are necessary for ascertaining or implementing important interest or rights of the person requesting the information.

The ombudsmen of patient and social affairs

The ombudsmen tell you about your rights and give you counsel and aid in questions pertaining to social and health care services.

The Ombudsman of Patient Affairs

The duty of the Ombudsman of Patient Affairs is to tell you about your rights and as needed give you counsel and aid if you are displeased with your care or how you have been treated during your care.

If you are displeased or if there is something unclear with the care:

First try to solve the matter in your care unit with the physician in charge of you care, a nurse or with other professionally educated personnel. Most questions are answered quickest when asked where they arose.

You can contact the Ombudsman of Patient Affairs if the matter continues to be unclear.

The Ombudsman of Social Affairs

You should contact the Ombudsman of Social Affairs when you

  • are uncertain if you have received such social welfare services that you are entitled to
  • as a relative wonder if your next of kin wonder is given the services and support measures he/she needs
  • consider a social welfare employee or his/her superior to have acted inappropriately
  • are unable to understand decisions, contracts or calculations that you have been given
  • utilize private social services and consider your own station
  • desire impartial information on application of various laws and of the social welfare practices in your domicile
  • wish to know of your rights as a client.